I watched Wall-E recently and that movie is fantastic but I couldn’t stop thinking about how I really REALLY want an adult (like REALLY ADULT NC-17 OR BUST) adaption that’s all fucked up and dark, like EVE and Wall-E as humans traveling a barren post-apocalyptic earth and dealing with conspiracies aboard the Axiom. Think The Road meets 2001 meets Moon.
I mean the movie is so cute and happy and hopeful but when you think about it the premise is pretty fucked up. I mean the earth is DEAD and the rest of the humans in space are just circling the drain, on the fast-track to an evolutionary dead end. So instead of a story about the triumph of the
human robot spirit, it’s a story about how humanity is totally boned. Like just a really fucked up and psychologically dark story about the incredibly desperate lengths a few individuals have to go to because of how deeply humanity screwed up, how much they have to sacrifice, how the extinction of the human race contributes to the destruction of the psyche.
WOW I WANT THIS RILL BAD NOW.
- Wall-E is an android, the last ‘living’ thing on a dead planet. It’s possible he snapped decades ago and it just hasn’t caught up with him yet.
- Eve is part of a spec ops group specifically trained (cloned?) to return to earth and scour it for any hint of life. This is what she’s for. Despite her being human, it becomes clear that she’s even more programmed than Wall-E is.
- both of them are incredibly isolated and don’t know how to deal with anything outside the parameters of their respective missions. Wall-E’s sanity is hanging by a thread and he craves contact but Eve is dismissive because of her desperation to find organic life. She CANNOT FAIL because this is what she was MADE FOR and if she fails then what is she?
- obviously it would still be a love story because romance is fucking awesome (fight me)
- idk, I guess Auto is still the antagonist? Except I really loved how in the movie he was just following orders and was only a bad guy because he, unlike our protagonists, was incapable of thinking outside his programming.
I dunno, I guess I just want WALL-E AS WRITTEN BY OCTAVIA BUTLER AND RON MOORE to be a thing that exists. :[