For the oppressed:
- you are expected to be familiar with and abide by the rules and customs of your oppressors, regardless of how this harms you or your culture
- crimes committed against your community go unnoticed by the mainstream culture; crimes committed by members of your community are punished abnormally harshly
- you are forced to walk on eggshells around your oppressors, for fear of offending them, or being harmed in some way
- attempts to explain oppression to your oppressors are either disregarded, or perceived as petty attacks and prejudice
- your voice on your own situation is not valid unless the majority says something about it too
For the oppressor:
- THERE’S NO OPPRESSION, YOU GUYS, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
- MAYBE IF YOU STOPPED COMPLAINING AND TOOK RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR SITUATION, YOU’D BE BETTER OFF
- BUT I DON’T SEE COLOR/DISABILITY/SEXUALITY/GENDER!
- YOU’RE JUST COMPLAINING FOR THE HECK OF IT
I love it when people are like, “Oh my god, your nitpicks about race, gender, sexuality, etc. are so exhausting and stupid! Why does everyone have to have their little label? People are so demanding! They must have too much time on their hands to be worrying about this meaningless shit! Who cares if I’m not getting my cis-whateverisms right? Why should it be up to me to be sensitive? Why do I have to do all this work?”
You, as an individual, do not. You don’t have to do anything. You don’t have to move. You don’t have to care. You don’t have to change anything.
And when you’re dead, it won’t have mattered. The ten-thousand-year knot of human oppression will include your bones. You will have helped unravel nothing, and no fucks will be given about how still you sat in your comfortable chair."